Despite popular belief, not every business needs a website. While some people would have you believe a web presence is as necessary as a business card, this simply is not true.
Websites have a number of functions:
- Provide information
- Provide customer support
- Provide contact details
- Enable local or global marketing
- Reach new customers
- Service existing customer
- Generate revenue
- Provide value added services - e.g. real estate loan calculator
- Enable customer feedback
While this list is common among big business, many small business websites are little more than online brochures. And this is appropriate considering most people use the internet for information.
Questions to ask yourself
If you are thinking about creating a website, ask yourself:
- Do my existing/prospective customers use the Internet?
- Do my existing/prospective customers look for our products/services on the Internet?
- Would my existing/prospective customers expect us to have a website?
If the answer to these questions is a resounding NO, don't bother about creating a website. If however, you think your customers would use, benefit and expect your business to have a website - it's time to get online.